Buku Untuk Dibaca kegemaran light Membaca series/book?

theraconteur posted on Feb 29, 2008 at 01:47AM
I'm going on vacation soon and I need a few light reading (not necessarily chick lit) books to read. I like mysteries, fiction, and some chick lit. Most of the stuff I've been reading recently is philosophy heavy and I just need a break!

Any suggestions would be lovely!! Thanks.

Buku Untuk Dibaca 17 balas

Click here to write a response...
hampir setahun yang lalu aaricaburke said…
The Green Mile by Stephen King. I didn't think I was that into King but this definitely was a great read! I also really like Wuthering Heights, I have read that more than once. Also Watership Down or Tuesdays with Morrie are also excellent!
hampir setahun yang lalu theraconteur said…
Thanks for the suggestions. I like Stephen King but I hate reading books after I've seen the movie. :(

I love Watership Down. Maybe I'll re-read that one.
hampir setahun yang lalu harold said…
If you're a fan of Watership Down, you might try any of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. They're light adventure stories featuring anthropomorphic animals.

For light mysteries, I'd recommend Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco novels (starting with Silver Pigs - they're hard-bitten crime novels set rather outlandishly in the Roman Empire, and as such are entertaining, quick reads.

Other entertaining mystery authors I recommend are Dick Francis (for a contemporary author) and George MacDonald (for a classic one). After you read a dozen or so Dick Francis novels the settings may all start to seem similar, but they're still well-written. Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels are also quick, fun reads.
I only read one the first Redwall series back in the day, but I highly enjoyed it. I may pick up a few more.

Those mystery books sound entertaining. My local used book store has a ton of mystery, but it's always difficult to find good ones.

Thanks!
hampir setahun yang lalu vickiee_93 said…
Blue is for mignhtmares series is also very good.
hampir setahun yang lalu _lina_ said…
If you want REALLY light reading (ie no deep thoughts at all) you can read the Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison. These books are hilarious, but they're about a 14-year-old, so I don't know if you'd be interested in that.

Also, Agatha Christie mysteries are excellent. (Top three would probably be "And Then There Were None," "The Murder on the Orient Express," and "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd")
_lina_:
I love the Georgia series! So funny!!! They're making a movie outta them, but I dunno how it'll be. So much of the humor from the books is in her writing, which would be difficult to transfer to a film, no?

I love Agatha Christie. I've read those three, and Murder of Roger Ackroyd is quite awesome...great ending!

It seems we have some similar tastes in books. For light chick lit reading aimed toward a little older audience, I recommend The Heather Wells series by Meg Cabot (The first book is "Size Twelve Is Not Fat"). Very, very light reading, but still entertaining. Not quite as funny as Georgia though.
Are they really? Yeah, I'm not sure how well that'll go over. It could be awesome, but it could be a total flop.

Love Meg Cabot! Can't wait for the next Queen of Babble to come out.

I was going to recommend Bridget Jones, but I just checked your profile, and you're a fan of her spot, so there goes that idea :)

How about Sophie Kinsella books? Can You Keep A Secret is a great read. The Shopaholic series is pretty good, too (except for the first book, which I really didn't like. The rest are a lot better, though. I call it the Please Like Me! Syndrome, where first-time authors write books according to what they think people want, as opposed to their own personal writing style).
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
Yeah, the movie could go either way. I don't want aspects of it (like Angus, her crazy shaven eyebrows, and the SG) to be visually ruined. :(

I read the first three Shopaholic books then I sorta lost interest. Either that or I just got really busy (stupid college. haha).

Bridget Jones is awesome! I literally LOL-ed at those ones. The movies are pretty good too. Colin Firth...love it!
So true... I hate when you imagine a certain character and then they make a movie out of it, and the leads look totally different from what you imagined (or they're just not that great-looking ;) )

Plus the Colin Firth/Hugh Grant fountain fight is great.

Trying to think of other books that you might like... Flipped (by Windelin Van Draanen) was not bad. I don't know if you read Meg Cabot's link, but every once in a while she recommends a book, and I've found that they're usually pretty good. Recent ones that I can think of are Seeing Me Naked by Liza Palmer and Another Kind of Cowboy by Susan Juby.
Ah...the fountain fight! :)

I haven't read any of the books from Cabot's blog, but Susan Juby wrote a hilarious series about a homeschooled teenage girl. The first one is called "Alice, I Think". They're YA, but definitely worth a read.

I'm excited because now I've started a running list of books to check out next time I hit up the store. Thanks!
I love "Alice, I Think"!

I just wanted to share another book - I'm reading "Devilish" by Maureen Johnson. Seriously a good read. Has a bit of a paranormal twist, but it's not too bad (I'm not a huge fan of paranormal stuff).
I will look into that one. I am gonna start reading some supernatural type books soon (my roomie LOVES the Twilight Series and I've heard a lot about the books so I'm gonna check them out). I usually stick to more sarcastic social commentary (David Sedaris and Chuck Klosterman) or philosphy and prose heavy fiction (Truman Capote and Jostein Gaarder <---fantastic writer!!). I'm looking forward to being done with school and being able to read and RELAX! :) I did get to read a great book for one of my classes this semester though: "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi. It's a graphic novel but a very informative and quick read.

OT: I see that you're from Ontario. Do you know who Hawksley Workman is? He is one of my favorite musicians who is virtually unknown in the States. Just wondering.
hampir setahun yang lalu DrDevience said…
If you love sarcastic commentary type of stories, then check out link. His books have me in tears.
Thanks, DrDevience. I just looked him up, he seems like an interesting writer. I'll be sure to check those books out! :)
hampir setahun yang lalu irunwithcullens said…
the gossip girl books are good to read lightly as they are only like 200 pages each you can finish them pretty quick and there are lots of them for you to delve in and out of
hampir setahun yang lalu r-pattz said…
the Uglies series and if you havent already read twilight