Debat WHY all the muslim hate?

alismouha posted on Nov 26, 2010 at 08:59AM
Roger Du Pasquier said : “The West, whether Christian or dechristianised, has never really known Islam. Ever since they watched it appear on the world stage, Christians never ceased to insult and slander it in order to find justification for waging war on it. It has been subjected to grotesque distortions the traces of which still endure in the European mind. Even today there are many Westerners for whom Islam can be reduced to three ideas: fanaticism, fatalism and polygamy. Of course, there does exist a more cultivated public whose ideas about Islam are less deformed; there are still precious few who know that the word Islam signifies nothing other than ‘submission to God’. One symptom of this ignorance is the fact that in the imagination of most Europeans, Allah refers to the divinity of the Muslims, not the God of the Christians and Jews; they are all surprised to hear, when one takes the trouble to explain things to them, that ‘Allah’ means ‘God’, and that even Arab Christians know him by no other name. “

I have been reading a lot of hate posts on various websites describing Islam as a "Menace",and saying that the world will be better off without it,and that all Muslims were Terrorists,and many other ignorant accusations...

I ask here and now...Why?

Debat 18 balas

Click here to write a response...
hampir setahun yang lalu Sappp said…
I have nothing against them, but to give you some response I will quote Geert Wilders, leader of the Party for Freedom.

“Islam is a totalitarian ideology. There is no place in it for anything but Islam itself. It wants to control not only one’s private life, but the society’s life as well. If you are an atheist, a Christian, or a Jew living in a society where Islam is dominant, your life is very difficult. That’s why comparisons must be made between Islam and other totalitarian ideologies like communism and fascism.

“I have nothing against Muslims as human beings. Most of them are law-abiding people like you and me. But I am against mass immigration from Muslim countries, because immigrants will bring their culture here, which, if permitted to be dominant, will change our society. Already in countries with a sizable Muslim minority, those changes for the worse can be seen.”

"The idea that all cultures are equal was forced on us by the left and the liberals, and is in fact the Europe’s worst sickness. "

“It is not acceptable for people to completely cover themselves on the street. It threatens public order and security. Plus it is a terrifying sight and only increases the cleft between natives and foreigners.”

And the next one I will put in Dutch and then translate.

'De kern van het probleem is de fascistische islam, de zieke ideologie van Allah en Mohammed zoals neergelegd in de islamitische Mein Kampf: de Koran. '

'The root of the problem is the fascist Islam, the sick ideology of Allah and Mohommed as laid down in the islamic Mein Kampf: The Kuran.'

Hope that helps in any way.

Btw: this guy is a politician and as such I respect his right to free speech. But I disagree with him and would not vote for his party.

last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
hampir setahun yang lalu Cinders said…
I know they aren't your opinions, Sappp, but I'm going to debate them anyway.

"If you are an atheist, a Christian, or a Jew living in a society where Islam is dominant, your life is very difficult."

I was an Agnostic living in Cairo, Egypt for four years. Granted, Egypt is not the totalitarian Islamic regime that, say, Saudi Arabia is. But it is a predominantly Muslim country (I am not certain, but I want to say 87% Muslim? I'll need to run that by my fact checkers). As a nonbeliever, moreover as a White woman, I was treated with nothing but respect from the Egyptians I knew. Did I get a few rude cat calls or stares on the street? Yes, but I never judged the Egyptian or Muslim culture for that, but rather the libido of repressed teenage/young men, as they were generally the culprits. I was invited to Iftars and other parties and dinners at Egyptian households, and they did not judge or condemn me.

I could also argue the concept of Muslims becoming a majority and changing Dutch culture for the worse. I do not know very much about the current immigration rates. The closest scenario I can imagine is the "problem" America is facing with Mexican and other Hispanic immigrants (both legal and illegal). There is a similar fear here that they will "take over" American culture. The difference, I think, between Dutch and American culture, however, is that America IS a hodgepodge of a million other cultures already, because that's how America was born. Therefore, I would imagine this fear is more pronounced in a nation that has been Dutch through-and-through for hundreds of years. But still, the fear I see in Americans towards Hispanics gives me an idea of what you might be facing.

I find this sentence the most despicable one ever: "The idea that all cultures are equal was forced on us by the left and the liberals, and is in fact the Europe’s worst sickness."

While cultures often clash, I do not believe in the so-called "culture wars." I do not believe that one culture is fighting for dominance over another, and even if that were true, then by sheer numbers, China and India would have had us beat because there are more people with that ethnicity than Europeans and Americans combined. We are, first and foremost, global citizens. As a nomad who grew up in every country by the one her passport says she belongs to, I have seen firsthand the joy and understanding that multiculturalism can bring to a community. And as an American, living in Seattle, I see it even more. How is diversity, equality, and mutual respect a sickness? I don't see it.

Once again - I know these aren't your views, but I just wanted to get that out there.

Also - Islam has it's faults. It has it's fair share of violence, oppression, and human rights violations. But no more than Christianity does. For a Christian to claim that Christianity is somehow morally better than Islam would be to proclaim yourself a hypocrite.
Just a note: Geert Wilders is not a Christian, he is agnostic.
However he does proclaim that the Judea-Christian society in the Netherlands should be protected and is superior to Islamic societies.

Furthermore I can not really debate you here since, as you said, these are not my views :)
hampir setahun yang lalu Vanilla-Thunder said…
As long as they don't blow up my house I'm fine
hampir setahun yang lalu renrae said…
I bet if you don't blow up your house, they'll be fine with you, too.
hampir setahun yang lalu ThePrincesTale said…
I think that it is disgusting how Muslims are always discriminated against. There are millions of Muslims in the world and almost all of them are good people. Only a small minority are extremists. And we tend to overlook all the faults in Christianity (I am christian by the way) for example, Klu Klux Clan (i have no idea how to spell that).
All cultures are equal. Just because you are born into one religion or another doesn't make you any much less inferior or superior. The vicar who organised "Burn a Koran Day" is a sad excuse for a Christian. He obviously doesn't understand the parable of the "Good Samaritan'.
And they have every right to cover their heads in public. It's just modesty, and if you ask me, the West needs a bit more of it. Modesty, I mean.
We should treat all faiths equally.
*rant over*
hampir setahun yang lalu Quaila said…
In light of the first ever terrorist attack in Sweden claimed to be connected to Al-Qaida, this is perhaps not the best moment for me to discuss Islam.

But nevertheless I shall.
Just like every other faith based religion in the world. Islam has two sides of the same coin, the pro side and the con side. However, to save me time and research that a cellphone cannot realise, I shall only address one point each from both sides.
One of the no doubt many pro-side of a major organised religion is how they bring everyone from all different places on Earth together, despite any superficial differences. I'm intrigued by this point, and I think it's excellent.
And one of the no doubt many con-sides of a major organised religion is xenophobia. Fear of the unknown propells people to do things terribly evil, and major organised religion promotes this by branding people with names, from the very beginnings, creating a distinct we-them feeling that is condoned by our evolutionary past, and in this context, them is the unknown, the x of all x'ses.
No matter which of the three major religions you look at, the hint of unease at the unknown is a trait amongst even the most distinguished of religious proponents (Sir Polkinghorne against Professor Em. Dawkins pops into my mind somehow). And that's where I shall end this mini-rant, in hindsight, it was not much of an attack on Islam, but on extreme religion in general... Maybe I have read too much "God Delusion"...

PS I shall agree with ThePrincesTale regarding treating all faiths - and may I add all non-faiths - equally, with no preference whatsoever over another. I think we also need to stop indoctrinating the children in religious matters and punish the perverters of religion and et. c. DS
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
hampir setahun yang lalu Dada said…
I honestly think in today's world (2006 on) Christians are the ones being attacked and hated. We are taught even in school to respect Muslims and I do. They are the only ones allowed to express their religious views in public schools without getting into any kind of trouble or looked down upon. When I look at a Muslim everything remains the same while when I look at how the world is changing for the worst and at believers and non-believers my emotions change.
hampir setahun yang lalu pandawinx said…
Alismouha, i personally, have nothing againest muslims. But that doesn't mean i don't have critisms, which is something totally different.
As a feminist, it's hard for me to feel the burqa is justified....but that isn't "Muslim hate" that's critism.
hampir setahun yang lalu -sapherequeen- said…
I don't have anything against Muslims either. I'm part Syrian myself, my mother claims that due to 9/11, people have given her a rough time just because of her last name (Her father's side of the family is Syrian).

I have nothing against Muslims. I don't know any particularly unless there's one in my English honors class, but there's no negativity or prejudice that I feel for these people. I am not that open to the mosque idea in New York, I still see it as disrespectful in a way, but other than that, there's no problems.

Also, like Dada said, I'm noticing that Christians are getting the heat too. I'm not going to say that Christianity is better then Islam, because we have had our crimes also. But, it's an observation. *shrugs*

alimousha: you ask why? There are some responses given. What do you think about those responses? What do you think of someone like Geert Wilders who obviously demonizes your religion?

Sorry, just really curious ^^
hampir setahun yang lalu Monrose said…
Well, even as a catholic, I mean that the world would've been better off without any religions at all.

Back to the subject: The media is to blame for a lot of the hatred and criticism against muslims. When that's said, I'm not fan of the religion itself. I feel that some of the people that practice it, doesn't have any respect for other religions and societies. This is , of course, not all of hem, but many. We have a lot of immigration in Norway, from muslim countries, and we're kinda having a problem here now with the cultural differences. They complain because they're not served Halal-food in prison, that kids have to swim together at school (boys and girls) and that there are paintings of pigs from a fairytale in a children hospital. And I can't just say that this is just a few of the muslims either, because I know a lot of them. And they are for example for clothing that discriminated women. Their wives aren't allowed to work, so they utilize our social security system.

I don't mean that Islam is a bad religion, it just depends how you practice it. And from what I've seen, many muslims doesn't practice it "correctly", and we get a huge cultural crash. The worst part of it, is that my party, for instance, get a lot of crap from others, because they think we're racists for saying something.
hampir setahun yang lalu Darkshine said…
I just don't like the sexist and homophobic messages it promotes.
And they can be very mean, you know, I'm an atheist living in an almost all-muslim place and life is hard, at least social life is.
The only people who aren't biased towards me are other atheists and agnostics.
It feels very bad, but don't think I hate Islam, I dislike every religion equally. ^^
^Buddhism?
^What does Buddhism have to do with this? o-O
I asked if you disliked Buddhism as well. I find it quite difficult to dislike such a religion.
^No.
Why would I dislike it, I actually like the idea.
I quote: "I dislike every religion equally."