Harry Potter vs. Twilight The Many Plot Holes of Twilight

han-han posted on Apr 24, 2010 at 03:57AM
Plot holes are to Stephenie Meyer's works as fish are to water. So, how many plot holes can you find?

I'll start you off. My friend and I, crazychlo, were thinking one afternoon and a thought crossed our minds.

If Edward has no pulse, how can he get and erection and therefore impregnate Bella? That confused us and we spent several ours after scratching our heads.
save

Harry Potter vs. Twilight 227 balas

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 51-100 of 227

hampir setahun yang lalu Athiya said…
^ From link

Cerebrum (also called the cerebral cortex or just the cortex) - The cerebrum consists of the cortex, large fiber tracts (corpus callosum) and some deeper structures (basal ganglia, amygdala, hippocampus). It integrates information from all of the sense organs, initiates motor functions, controls emotions and holds memory and thought processes (emotional expression and thinking are more prevalent in higher mammals).
hampir setahun yang lalu VampiresRevenge said…
^ But, from the same site:

- Amygdala - The amygdala is located within the temporal lobe and controls social and sexual behavior and other emotions.

- Limbic system - The limbic system is important in emotional behavior and controlling movements of visceral muscles (muscles of the digestive tract and body cavities).

- Frontal lobe - The frontal lobe is involved in motor skills (including speech) and cognitive functions. Remaining areas of the frontal lobe perform associative processes (thought, learning, memory).

Different parts of the brain control emotions (Amygdala and Lymbic system) and thoughts (Frontal lobe).

hampir setahun yang lalu Athiya said…
^ But if Bella can only shield away things from one part of her brain, what leaves the pain from Jane and Alec? Pain were located in the Thalamus, if I'm not mistaken?
I never said that she can only shield one part of her brain. I have no clue which exact parts she can shield and she can't. But you can see that some parts of her brain may be shielded, while other may not based on what can and can't effect her.
hampir setahun yang lalu ilovereading said…
^I think even Meyer doesn`t know that.
hampir setahun yang lalu ChocAttack266 said…
I highly doubt Meyer was thinking about the parts of the brain when she wrote the books, given the fact that she can't even master simple logic.
hampir setahun yang lalu 1-2vampire said…
why does Bella find Edward stalking her at night so attractive?

Why does she just "happen to have" a particular smell that makes Edward "fall in lust" with her? It's just so coincidental the guy she meets a day before she wants to see all the time because he's "pwetty". seriously.
wink
^Yes, SMeyer never fully explained what kind of psychological phenomenon Bella suffers from, that makes her able to like her stalker. I personally vote for attachment to abuser (you can google it) .
hampir setahun yang lalu MadamOcta13 said…
In the first book, Bella asks Edward if it were possible that they could ever have an intimate experience with each other. Edward tells her no, that it would be too dangerous considering how strong he is. Aside from this conversation happening at such an early stage in a relationship, how is it that they were able to have sex in the fourth book?
In the first book, Bella asks Edward if it were possible that they could ever have an intimate experience with each other. Edward tells her no, that it would be too dangerous considering how strong he is. Aside from this conversation happening at such an early stage in a relationship, how is it that they were able to have sex in the fourth book?

I don't know if this is it, but I just think he got used to her smell. I think he was "prepared" enough to try. And when they did have sex, it's not like it was perfect. She had bruises all over her and pillows were torn up everywhere.
hampir setahun yang lalu GemonkDruid said…
rainy
Wait a sec... don't you have to get a lisence (sp?) to ride a motorcycle? But in New Moon, it didn't say anything about lisences.
hampir setahun yang lalu han-han said…
GermonkDruid - agree with the gotta catch 'em all thingy :D
hampir setahun yang lalu venvargie said…
angry
Renesmee(sp?)

'Nuff said.

How the fuck does she even exist?
How?
HOW!?
hampir setahun yang lalu badvamps said…
renesme(sp?)
she is edward and bellas daughter since women have to age to have a baby that keeps rosalie from having a child but boys body stays the same from puberty till they die i guez??? lol so wen shes born she ages very fast and stops aging wen she hits a certain age i guez?????? lol correct me if im wrong
hampir setahun yang lalu ChocAttack266 said…
^ That's another plot hole. Why will Renesmee suddenly stop aging at that speed? I think this is Meyer breaking all of the rules she set herself for pure convenience...again.
hmmm
Another plot hole...

Meyer says that all her werewolves fursploded and transformed into a giant wolf. Well, where did all the extra muscle mass come from?
hampir setahun yang lalu TeamSiriusBlack said…
^Where did the fur come from? Is there a hairy gene or something???
laugh
We should write a book about all the plot holes. xD

It would be a better read than twishit.
About the werewolf thing, though they are actually shape-shifters, if you think extra muscle mass and hair is a plot hole, then every single werewolf movie or book has that plot hole. Or Hulk. Where does he get the green skin and the extra muscles? Where does Spiderman get the web that he shoots at people? It's a fantasy book, so I think things of that nature are kind of explained. I don't we're trying to find science plot holes here, because vampires and werewolves (or shape-shifters) don't exist in real life.
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
^Yeah, but Meyer said her vampires are scientific, so...
Where did she say that? Link?

And how could vampires possibly scientific if they don't exist? How are they explained?
hmmm
Really? She said that? She would have been better of saying they're "magic". Would have saved her a hell of a lot of trouble. Not much, but a little.
hampir setahun yang lalu TeamSiriusBlack said…
Potato.
Sorry, had to get away from all the questions XD!
hampir setahun yang lalu MadamOcta13 said…
smile
VampiresRevenge: thanks for answering my question!
big smile
^ You're welcome!
big smile
Vampires are "perfect" preditors. They are super fast, strong, have super powers ................................... (I think you got the idea). People and vampires are like lions and lambs (rolling eyes). Edward was once thinking aloud if they were maybe created by evolution. But that doesn`t make sence, they are so damn succesfull they would take over the world and than die out of hunger. Or people (and deer) would involve into superfast (plant eating) weirdos so they could fight vamps. (Remember, SMeyer stated IT`S science...)
Vampires are "perfect" preditors. They are super fast, strong, have super powers ................................... (I think you got the idea). People and vampires are like lions and lambs (rolling eyes). Edward was once thinking aloud if they were maybe created by evolution. But that doesn`t make sence, they are so damn succesfull they would take over the world and than die out of hunger. Or people (and deer) would involve into superfast (plant eating) weirdos so they could fight vamps. (Remember, SMeyer stated IT`S science...)

That's not a plot hole. Someone thinking aloud about something that "maybe" could have happened does not mean that everything else has to line up with it. It was a thought of his, and not a stated fact by Stephanie in the book.
hampir setahun yang lalu potterrox said…
VampiresRevenge: I havn't been on this forum in a few weeks, so let me go back to what I said about Edwards nonability to read Bella's mind. I agree with you that the powers someone will have as a vampire will show up in some form while they are still human. However, thats not the point I was trying to make. Her vampire powers come from when she was human, but where she got them as a human was never explained. In Jasper's case, he was very charismatic before he was turned, so that talent manifested itself into his ability to control the emotions of the people around him. But many people are charismatic, and if they were all turned, they would have some variation of Jasper's gift. But Bella's case is different. All human brains are hardwired the same, generally, so if Edward can read everyone else's mind, he should be able to read Bella's if Smeyer follows her own logic. We never learn what makes Bella unique, so it's a plot hole.
I said this in the first post:

And in Twilight, one morning, Bella made pancakes for Charlie. But a few paragraphs later, Chief Swan was told to have been scowling into his cereal bowl.

It doesn't really make sense, unless Charlie eats his pancakes in a bowl. Or maybe Bella wasn't paying attention, since she was the narrator and all.
VampiresRevenge: I havn't been on this forum in a few weeks, so let me go back to what I said about Edwards nonability to read Bella's mind. I agree with you that the powers someone will have as a vampire will show up in some form while they are still human. However, thats not the point I was trying to make. Her vampire powers come from when she was human, but where she got them as a human was never explained. In Jasper's case, he was very charismatic before he was turned, so that talent manifested itself into his ability to control the emotions of the people around him. But many people are charismatic, and if they were all turned, they would have some variation of Jasper's gift. But Bella's case is different. All human brains are hardwired the same, generally, so if Edward can read everyone else's mind, he should be able to read Bella's if Smeyer follows her own logic. We never learn what makes Bella unique, so it's a plot hole.

When she does finally become a vampire, her power is a shield to protect her mind and others' minds. When she is human, she can only protect her mind, though she doesn't understand how. That was the early sign of her power. When Alice was a human, she had premonitions, which was an early sign of her ability. Some people were just special when they were human, and if they turned into vampires, they had powers. Those who didn't have anything special, were just normal with no powers. We learned that some were just unique, that's all. Bella wasn't the only one. Not a lot of other people have premonitions, like Alice. That made Alice pretty unique, too.

And in Twilight, one morning, Bella made pancakes for Charlie. But a few paragraphs later, Chief Swan was told to have been scowling into his cereal bowl.

It doesn't really make sense, unless Charlie eats his pancakes in a bowl. Or maybe Bella wasn't paying attention, since she was the narrator and all.

Maybe he ate cereal while waiting for her to make pancakes? I don't know.
VampiresRevenge: But the gifts that vampires have are their talents that they had as a human, just many times magnified. The way you put it it seems that every human displays some of their vampiric powers before they are turned. Since humans didn't evolve to turn into vampires, it can't just be the powers coming through early.

About the people you say are "special," I agre with you. Some people think differently than all the others, like child protegies and real fortune tellers, if you believe in that sort of thing. If Smeyer had just explained what makes Bella "special" and why she is that way it I would have no problem with Edward not being able to read Bella's mind. It does make the story more interesting. But what makes her different is never explained, so I believe it's a plot hole.
But the gifts that vampires have are their talents that they had as a human, just many times magnified. The way you put it it seems that every human displays some of their vampiric powers before they are turned. Since humans didn't evolve to turn into vampires, it can't just be the powers coming through early.

Yeah, I realized that after I typed it that it could come off that way. I meant that some humans have something special about them that may not be noticed when they are humans and some don't. If they are turned into a vampire, then the powers become stronger. Bella isn't really a special human until she is with vampires. They notice that there is something about her that is different. It's not that everyone has something to be special because they'll turn into vampires. It's just that vampires see things that are special about some people. God, it's so hard to explain what's in my head right now, and I don't know if this is making any sense... I do remember that it said in the book that it was like their powers showing early, but not like you mean. Like I said, vampires can see what is special about some people and they become evident when they are changed. Not every human has to be changed, and not every vampire has to have a power.

About the people you say are "special," I agre with you. Some people think differently than all the others, like child protegies and real fortune tellers, if you believe in that sort of thing. If Smeyer had just explained what makes Bella "special" and why she is that way it I would have no problem with Edward not being able to read Bella's mind. It does make the story more interesting. But what makes her different is never explained, so I believe it's a plot hole.

But she did explain. It's just something different about certain people and if they're changed, it becomes a power. Only some people have that different quality. In real life, what makes people have premonitions? What makes some children smarter than they are supposed to be? If there are real fortune tellers, what makes them different? They just are, in my opinion. People are naturally different from one another, and some people are just extremely different from everyone else.
I know Bella is special, and maybe it's just the way I think but, I don't think smeyer can just say that she's special without providing any justification. I'm not saying that Bella or fortune tellers aren't special, they obviously are. But there is a reason they're special. Maybe their brains are costructed differently, maybe it's divine intervention, I don't know. I just need a reason Bella is different.

About the powers arguement I think we are on he same page, mostly. I'm not sure if vampires can sense what humans powers will be, unless that is their own power. I agree about the people who are special, having that become their powere once they are turned. But still it's the why that bothers me.
tongue
Has anyone noticed that Bella didn't seem to have any friends from Phoenix? No-one to email about the rainy hell that Forks is, no-one to phone when she's feeling lonely? Even if she didn't have friends, wouldn't she think about her old classmates sometime and wonder about them? That's what I do, and I travelled a lot in my childhood, I must admit.
thanks for all of the replies from everyone :D...and also thank you to VampiresRevenge for starting some healthy debates...I encourage more twilighters to come and defend themselves. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Oh and just to clarify: Though I did call this forum the many plot holes of twilight you are quite welcome to post Smeyers flaws of logic/judgement here also.
Thanks
I know Bella is special, and maybe it's just the way I think but, I don't think smeyer can just say that she's special without providing any justification. I'm not saying that Bella or fortune tellers aren't special, they obviously are. But there is a reason they're special. Maybe their brains are costructed differently, maybe it's divine intervention, I don't know. I just need a reason Bella is different.

Like the fortune tellers, her brain is just different. I bet there are more people with "special" brains in the Twilight world, but we just don't know since it is all about Bella. Plus, the Cullens and the Volturi couldn't have possible met all of the people in the world to see if she is so unique. There has to be at least one more person with a similar brain as her.

About the powers arguement I think we are on he same page, mostly. I'm not sure if vampires can sense what humans powers will be, unless that is their own power. I agree about the people who are special, having that become their powere once they are turned. But still it's the why that bothers me.

I don't think that the vampires can sense the powers. I think they can see like, "Oh, the person has so and so. If they became a vampire, their ability would probably be so and so." They know that when people change their knack for something will become a power, so they can see early on what it might be.

Has anyone noticed that Bella didn't seem to have any friends from Phoenix? No-one to email about the rainy hell that Forks is, no-one to phone when she's feeling lonely? Even if she didn't have friends, wouldn't she think about her old classmates sometime and wonder about them? That's what I do, and I travelled a lot in my childhood, I must admit.

Yeah, she only ever mentions talking to her mom. Maybe she does have friends from Phoenix, but since they aren't Edward they aren't important enough.

thanks for all of the replies from everyone :D...and also thank you to VampiresRevenge for starting some healthy debates...I encourage more twilighters to come and defend themselves. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Thank you. :) I love debating, so it's fun for me.
VampiresRevenge: I acknowlage that Bella is in a minority of people who are special, but the point I've been trying to make is we, the reader, don't know why or how she's special. I'm not satisfied with being expected to belive that she's just different, with no justification. It feels to me like a cop out on Smeyers part, because she is telling us that bella is different and special without explaining why.
I acknowlage that Bella is in a minority of people who are special, but the point I've been trying to make is we, the reader, don't know why or how she's special. I'm not satisfied with being expected to belive that she's just different, with no justification. It feels to me like a cop out on Smeyers part, because she is telling us that bella is different and special without explaining why.

How would you have liked Stephanie to explain it? Or how would you explain it? Because I'm confused about how exactly could you explain something like that other than the way that Stephanie did in the books.
Um... does anybody here actually think that Bella acts like a normal teenager? She's got the fawning-over-guys bit right, but what about the use of abnormal words and lack of swearing? I mean, there are a share of fictional and real-life people who behave or would behave abnormally in their teens, but Bella is officially the champion of abnormal. What teen uses "irrevocably" in their everyday vocab? What teen has ever heard of the word "irrevocably" (granted, though, now EVERY teen has probably heard of that word)?

And she uses chagrin way too much in her narration. Whatever happened to embarrassment, horror, humiliation? Why did chagrin pop into your head that many times?

Also, she uses the saying "Holy crow!" WTF?

This crow down here is chagrined at his newfound holiness. XP
 Um... does anybody here actually think that Bella acts like a normal teenager? She's got the fawning-
*props GemonkDruid*
big smile
Thanks han-han. :D
laugh
You get a prop for that, GemonkDruid! XD *goes to give you one*
laugh
Thank you!
Um... does anybody here actually think that Bella acts like a normal teenager? She's got the fawning-over-guys bit right, but what about the use of abnormal words and lack of swearing? I mean, there are a share of fictional and real-life people who behave or would behave abnormally in their teens, but Bella is officially the champion of abnormal. What teen uses "irrevocably" in their everyday vocab? What teen has ever heard of the word "irrevocably" (granted, though, now EVERY teen has probably heard of that word)?

I know she's not the normal teenager, but I do have some weird friends like her that use strange words and don't cuss. At all. And I have heard of the word "irrevocably" and used it before I read Twilight...

And she uses chagrin way too much in her narration. Whatever happened to embarrassment, horror, humiliation? Why did chagrin pop into your head that many times?

Yeah, I did never get why she used "chagrin" that many times either.

Also, she uses the saying "Holy crow!" WTF?

I've never said "holy crow" before, but I do say "holy Moses!" for some bizarre reason, and I have a friend that says "holy banana." I think different people have weird things that they say in that phrase.
laugh
...And now my mood is slightly dampened. Ah well. Moment of glory had to be over soon.
smirk
GemonkDruid: Sorry about that, hahaha.
S'okay. I cheered myself up. :D
*BUMP*
sunny
Is anyone going to give me something to debate? Haha, kidding.
No. I have scoured that horrible tome for more plotholes and have not found much yet. Though I did find something:

Bella Swan: B.S.

You all know what that means. :D