Pocahontas Pocahontas- a crude and poor attempt of "disneyfication" of history?

Charlottef33 posted on Nov 14, 2008 at 09:31PM
The Disney animated "Pocahontas" is a clear attempt how Disney rewrites popular culture which is previously done in fairytales and myth (eg little Mermaid, Snow White). However the attempt to rewrite history in "Pocahontas" has miserably failed. The animation does not make up for the poor inaccurate storyline. Disney's idealist re-writing can commodify other aspects of popular culture but cannot challenge true history.

Pocahontas 6 balas

Click here to write a response...
hampir setahun yang lalu disney_prince said…
its just disney's own take on an historic american legend, yes its inaccurate but how can they incorparate being forced into religion and marriage into a disney film?
hampir setahun yang lalu LisaForde said…
big smile
So what I for one loved it
hampir setahun yang lalu DreamyGal said…
tongue
Like Prince said, it is inaccuarate, but whoever said it was completely true? Hello, it is a Disney movie afterall, not a biography. I love the movie. When I first saw it, it made me want to find out more about the "real" Pocahontas. And also, this is a forum for people who are fans and liked the movie, so please take your criticism elsewhere!
hampir setahun yang lalu Ashley-Green said…
Disney never intende to make Pocahontas completely accurate, their aim would have been to interest people in the story, and give them a little knowledge about it, prehaps, like Dreamygal said, inspiring them to search further into the story of the real Pocahontas, but Disney cannot be seriously expected to put the themes running throuought the real Pocahontas story (such as disney_prince stated) into a film which they are aiming at an immature and young audience. they are trying to make a profit you know.
hampir setahun yang lalu wickfield said…
Since when has Disney ever been accurate? It's called "artistic license" - unless you are making a documentary you can use your imagination to adapt any story. Pocahontas is a work of art and if the film hadn't been named after historical figures and events, people would actually RECOGNIZE that.
hampir setahun yang lalu anjastt9 said…
As others have already pointed out, Pocahontas was not intended to be a historically accurate film, nor was it supposed to give a history lesson. The filmmakers of the first Pocahontas have stated many times that the film was based on the "fable and folklore" that surrounded her, not her true story. Besides, many films that are based on historical events/people are actually inaccurate, and Pocahontas isn't the first or last film to do this.
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu