Roots, Rock, Reggae 20 Best Beatles Cover Songs

rocketman83 posted on Nov 12, 2009 at 12:51AM

I found this article on Spinner last week. After acknowledging that covering The Beatles is no easy feat and most Beatles covers are lacking in execution, the article lists a few that stand out from the crowd. I’ve copied and pasted some of my favorites below, starting with Peter Tosh great cover of Here Comes The Sun:

Peter Tosh, 'Here Comes the Sun'
Anyone who's heard Paul McCartney's ditzy 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reggae' knows it's no mean feat to get moptops and dreadlocks to peacefully coexist. Tosh, a founding member of the Wailers with Bob Marley, was not exactly known as a glass-half-full guy, which is one big reason his reggae-fied adaptation of George Harrison's lovely ode to optimism works so well.

The Black Keys, 'She Said She Said'
Ohio's finest dirty-blues duo lay the fuzz on this Lennon nugget so thick, it's a wonder the Black Keys found their way out of the studio. A photo finish ahead of the Feelies, who did their own excellent version of the song, which Lennon wrote after recalling a comment by Peter Fonda at an LSD party.

The Brothers Johnson, 'Come Together'
Aerosmith's version is a spinal cracker, too, but this underappreciated family affair -- George "Lightnin' Licks" and Louis "Thunder Thumbs" Johnson -- took John Lennon's absurdist wordplay and downplayed it into a slinky space-funk mood piece that came grooving up slowly.

Booker T. and the MGs, 'Medley: Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window/I Want You (She's So Heavy)'
The Stax bandleader laid his inimitable B-3 organ sound on a huge chunk of the 'Abbey Road' album on this expansive medley, released the same month the Beatles announced their breakup. "It was all or nothing for me at that point," the funk-soul instrumental keyboardist recalled.

What do you think? Did they miss any obvious candidates? I’m not a big fan of Stevie Wonders version of We Can Work It Out, nor Johnny Cash’s cover of In My Life, but they both made the list none the less. You’ll have to Google for a link to the article, but it should be too hard to find.

Roots, Rock, Reggae No balas