The Host Hypothetical Casting Call

nicole62 posted on Jan 17, 2010 at 01:56AM
Ever since joining this site, I have come across many dream casts forums, but nothing that would qualify as a casting call for the forthcoming movie adaptation. I understand that we all have our own personal preferences or fantasies from our reading experience; however, these ideas aren’t always the most realistic or take into account the whole description of the characters.

For instance, I imagined Ian looking like my long-time boyfriend (they have similar personalities) and Melanie as a young Elisha Dushku (as from her days on Buffy and Bring It On). While I was reading the novel, these ideas were perfectly fine because it was my imagination, but they would never work for the soon-to-be-filmed movie. One, my boyfriend cannot act and he has dirty blonde hair. Two, Dushku is now 29 and looks too old to play a 20-21 year old.

So, I’m challenging everyone to put their dream casts aside and really think about who could be cast to play each part for The Host movie adaptation that will probably start filming late this year or sometime in 2011. To do this, you need to take into account the majority of the character description--including how old they presently look and their height compared to rest of the cast--just as Stephenie Meyer, Nick Weschler, Steve and Paula Mae Schwartz will do during the real casting call. Wouldn’t it be cool if we got some of the picks right?!

Character Descriptions:

1. Melanie/Wanda - 20-21 years old; dark brown or mahogany hair; muddy green hazel eyes; light brown tan that never fades; tall with athletic build.

2. Pet/Wanda - 16 almost 17 years old; wavy blond hair; silver eyes; round face with fair skin and freckles; very petite; the shortest one in the rebel cell except for the children.

3. Ian - 25 years old (stated by Meyer in an interview); black hair; vivid blue eyes; straight nose; very fair skin; tall, muscular, and strong; "kind enough to be a soul but strong as only a human could be.”

4. Jared - 29-30 years old; hair a few shades darker than his light golden brown skin with golden streaks; dark eyes with flex of gold (liquid sienna); hard rectangular face with long, thin nose, and full lips; was sweet and excitable but bitter after Mel's capture.

5. Jamie - recently turned 14; silky, unkempt black hair to his chin; chocolate eyes; sun-darkened skin; thin and wiry body; kind and open minded.

6. Uncle Jeb - probably late 50s-60s; white hair and thick beard; faded blue jean eyes; wrinkled skin with big cleft-tipped nose and wide cheekbones; “crazy like a fox.”

7. Doc - light brown or dark blond hair; long slender body with thin features; one of the tallest in the rebel cell; compassionate and emotional.

8. Kyle - 30 years old; looks like Ian but bigger and has a crooked nose; tallest person in the rebel cell; usually aggressive and angry.

9. Sunny - 27 years; long black curly hair; tanned skin; tiny like a girl but subtle curves to show that she is a woman; sweet and shy.

10. Seeker/Lacey - black hair to her chin; olive-toned skin; very small; irritable.

11. Sharon - deep red hair; she and her mother Maggie are easily annoyed and like drama.

12. Aunt Maggie - dark gray rather than white hair; mass of wrinkles.

13. Lily - probably at least 5-10 years older than Wes; caramel-skinned woman; dry sense of humor; never ruffled by others.

14. Wes - 19 years; bristly black hair that stands up like steel wool; olive-toned skin; shy.

15. Walter - pallid man with white hair; sick and easily tired but cheerful.

16. Trudy - salt and pepper braid.

17. Geoffrey - balding; red-cheeked.

The Host 299 balas

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 299

hampir setahun yang lalu nicole62 said…
Here are my own choices (if they don’t have the correct eye color they can easily get contacts):

1. Melanie/Wanda
- Camilla Belle - 23 years, 5’8
- Odette Yustman - 24 years, 5’7
*Originally I was all for Belle, but I really like the idea of Yustman now. She really looks like she could portray all the emotions necessary.

2. Pet/Wanda
- Anna Sophia Robb - 16 years, 5’2

3. Ian
- Matt Dallas - 26 years, 6’

4. Jared
- Chris Pine - 29 years, 6’
- Jensen Ackles - 31 years, 6’1
*I really think Ackles looks the part, but he doesn’t appear to do much else besides Supernatural. The show may take too much of his time.

5. Jamie
- Allen Alvarado - 13 years
- Braeden LeMasters - 13 years
- Nat Wolff - 14 years

6. Uncle Jeb
- Muse Watson - 61 years, 6’1

7. Doc
- Paul Bettany - 38 years, 6’3

8. Kyle
- Sam Worthington - 33 years, 6’2
- Tom Welling - 32 years, 6’3
- Zachary Quinto - 32 years, 6’2
- Brandon Routh - 29 years, 6’2
*My original choice was Welling & then Quinto, but they are both very involved in television shows right now and may not be available.

9. Sunny
- Natalie Portman - 28 years, 5’4
- Lacey Chabert - 26 years, 5’3

10. The Seeker/Lacey
- Michelle Rodriguez - 31 years, 5’4
- Mila Kunis - 26 years, 5’3

Other Characters:

11. Sharon
- Laura Prepon - 29 years, 5’10

12. Aunt Maggie
- Kathy Bates - 61 years, 5’3

13. Lily
- Gabrielle Union - 36 years, 5’8
- Zoe Saldana - 31 years, 5’7
- Alicia Keys - 28 years, 5’7

14. Wes
- Tyler Posey - 18 years, 5’10
- Victor Rasuk - 25 years, 5’6

15. Walter
- James Garner - 81 years
*height doesn’t matter because he will be in a wheelchair

16. Trudy
- Annabella Sciorra - 49 years, 5'2
- Sally Field - 62 years, 5'2
*I’m not sure how old she or her husband are suppose to be. I thought she must be a little older since she has gray in her hair.

17. Geoffrey
- Elias Koteas - 48 years, 5'10
- Kurt Smith - 66 years, 6'
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
hampir setahun yang lalu murri_gh said…
big smile
all in all I like your cast :D
I liked Nat Wolff for Jamie and my new suggestion for Kyle is Alex O'loughlin. I just didn't like your Lily's or Michelle Rodriguez
Murri_gh, I never thought of Alex O'Loughlin, but you are right he would be a really good choice. He is of Irish decent (by way of Australia) which works really well since Meyer's said Kyle & Ian are Black Irish. Who do you think would fit better for Lily or the Seeker?
 Murri_gh, I never thought of Alex O'Loughlin, but anda are right he would be a really good choice. He
hampir setahun yang lalu kuncuyug said…
Thanks for writing the descriptions. My aunt's borrowed my book and she hasn't given it back yet. I nearly forgot how the characters looked :)
You know my Mel is Odette and my Jared is Jensen but I like your other choices, too. And Ian of course should be Matt Dallas :) About Kyle, I can't really think of a face but murri_gh's suggestion seems cool.Out Of your choices for Kyle, I really love Sam Worhtington. I think he's very handsome and the color of his eyes is fantastic. He's a good actor, too. I've just seen him in Avatar.One thing that's not right is that he has a perfect nose. If we overlook the nose thing, he's a good choice. I really like Allen Alvarado for Jamie. I don't know him but he looks very much like how I pictured Jamie. For Lily, I like Zoe Saldana and Gabrielle Union. I really love Alicia Keys as a singer but I never saw her act. I also like Kathy Bates. I think she's a good actress.For Wes some body in Facebook suggested an actor whose name I can't remember now. I'll write it later. It's really exciting to see if we can get the picks right:)
Nick D'Agosto. That's the actor whose name I forgot. He used to play Wes in Heroes. I thought he was a good choice but now I'm not sure.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the nose. That was the problem I came across when I tried to think of an actor to play Kyle which is why I initially liked Zachary Quinto so much. His nose is kind of off and could pass for a crooked one. Maybe whoever plays Kyle could have a fake nose. Makeup artist are good enough to pull that off now.

Allen Alvarado is exactly how I pictured Jamie as well. I've seen him as a guest on a few television shows (e.g. Cold Case). Apparently he had a reoccurring role on a Discovery Kids Show called Fight 29 Down. He is a good little actor.

I saw Alicia Keys in Smokin Aces and The Secret Life of Bees. She was good and had a similar attitude to how Lily is described.

Yeah, I forgot about Nick D'Agosto. He would work too. He is 29 but still looks very young.
well, about the seeker, I think Mila Kunis is good or maybe kristin kreuk. And about Lily, I don't know, I imagined her like evangelin lilly with Jessica Alba's skin color
Kristin Kreuk would probably work, but she would need more of a tan to pull off the olive-toned skin. She might be too sweet for the role, but who knows she could surprise us.

I could see where you get the whole darker Evangeline Lilly. Jessica Alba has an olive skin tone though. Remember the forum isn't really about who people imagined when reading, but more about which actors would fit the true character descriptions (looks and personalities).
Stephenie Meyer never mentions the seeker's age but I think she's a woman in her thirties or so because she's referred to as a woman by Wanderer. She never gives the impression that she's a girl. So I think neither Mila Kunis nor Kristin Kreuk are suitable for the seeker. I think she should be played by a talented actress who can pull off being annoying. Also Kristin Kreuk doesn't have very big eyes like the seeker's.
I forgot that Wanda refers to the Seeker that way! I just looked it up. She is definitely a bit older. Mila Kunis, Kristin Kreuk, and Christina Ricci would not work for the Seeker then. Now I know why you mentioned Jada Pinkett Smith before. She is an awesome actress, but I still don't know about her. Her complexion is too dark to be "olive-toned" and she is almost too short (5'). If Jada was chosen, they would have to search for a super short actress to play Pet/Wanda. Maybe Thandie Newton would work. She is 37 years old, 5'2, and she could definitely be bitchy. She looks dark in the picture but her complexion is a lot lighter than Jada's.
 I forgot that Wanda refers to the Seeker that way! I just looked it up. She is definitely a bit older
Oooo... I just thought of someone else to play the Seeker. She fits the character description (looks, height, and age) and she definitely knows how to play an annoying person: Leah Remini. She was the wife on the TV show, King of Queens. Her character annoyed me A TON! Remini was also in the movie Old Sschool. She has the right skin tone, is 5'3, and 39 years old.
 Oooo... I just thought of someone else to play the Seeker. She fits the character huraian (looks,
I don't like Leah Remini. Sorry, I think that was too forward. But the other options are really good.And about the Lily thing well, is just that to me, caramel skin color is just like jessica alba. Maybe that's the problem about everybody picking all these casts, everybody has a different perseption about them.
But, you're not suppose to like her... haha... that's the point. I understand what you're saying about the skin tone choices. It does vary a bit. I asked my boyfriend's sister who is a hairstylist and makeup atrist and just went off what she learned in school. Stephenie Meyer is really the only one who knows. I'm glad she will have a hand in the film (and cast).
Thandie Newton is very pretty. That might cause some people to like her even more than Melanie :) But I think she's cool and a good actress, too. I've seen her in many movies.
Leah Remini? I actually liked her in that show :) I didn't like her husband :) I don't know maybe she can be a good seeker.
Yeah lol I know, what I meant was that I don't like her because I don't think she matches the description Stephenie Meyer makes. Because, even when I agree with you that she should be older than Melanie, I don't think she should be that old.
Yeah, she might be on the verge of being too old. I like Thandie Newton for the Seeker the most. Leah Remini was kind of an afterthought. I also thought about Salma Hayek, but I'm not sure if she is too old and if she could be annoying enough... haha.
crying
I said in a picks question earlier that my perfect Wanda was Kristen Prout and I have just learned that she will be a vampire called Lucy in Eclipse movie :( Oh, I'm so disappointed. I was reluctant to suggest her as Wanda before because my Ian was Matt Dallas. You know they were a couple on that show, too. So I thought it would be unlikely to see them together in the host. I guess Stephenie wanted her for the Eclipse. She wrote the books so she knows best, right?
Well, Eclipse already finished filming, and Lucy was only in that novel. She didn't have a huge part in the novel either. She was only in a flashback/story about Jasper's change into a vampire. If that is the same in the movie, she could be used in The Host =)

When I said that I didn't think Meyer would use people from Twilight for this movie, I meant prominent players like Ashley Greene and Kellan Lutz (besides possible scheduling conflicts with Breaking Dawn). But, hey what do I know. Stephenie Meyer might turn out to be like Tim Burton and use the same actors in the films for her books.

It's nice hear more options like her and Taylor Momsen. It took me awhile to find someone in the right age range and look.

Well, Eclipse already finished filming, and Lucy was only in that novel. She didn't have a huge part
hampir setahun yang lalu MoviesRmyLife said…
Catherine Murillo as "Mel"
5'7"
Athletic, Natural tan, and she even has the freckle above her left wrist by her thumb as stated in the book.

I worked with her on a film. She has the depth to play both sweet and tough. She is new but is dedicated to the characters she plays. When I read the book I thought of her. Its like Stephanie Meyers was describing her.
 Catherine Murillo as "Mel" Age: ?? 5'7" Athletic, Natural tan, and she even has the freckle above her
She has the height, hair, and skin tone, but she looks a bit old. If she is older than 25, she wouldn't be able to play a realistic 20-21 year old.
hampir setahun yang lalu MoviesRmyLife said…
Her is another one of her but without the tan.
 Her is another one of her but without the tan.
I found another possible Mel. She has blue eyes, but... contacts. What do you think?
 I found another possible Mel. She has blue eyes, but... contacts. What do anda think?
She is very pretty. Who is she? I like the idea of unknowns or not very well known people playing the major parts. I think it would help fans quickly associate the actor/actress with that character and not think of other parts they have played.
Yes, I think she's very pretty,too. I remember that she played in a few episodes of Desperate Housewives. Her eyes are beautiful.
Yes, she was at Desperate Housewives and she worked at Disney. My only concern is that she might be a little bit short for being Melanie. What I like is that she has the right age.
Oh okay, I know who she is now. Her name is Maiara Walsh. I do like that she is the right age (21). I hate when films cast people who are way too old to play the parts. I also like that she is naturally pretty. She could have a natural look throughout the film and be covered in dirt and still be striking.

Most sites say Maiara Walsh is either 5'5 or 5'6 which isn't bad. Sophia Bush is in that height range and Odette Yustman is said to be 5'7. I think they could easily make the other female characters on the cast either close to her height or shorter.
 Oh okay, I know who she is now. Her name is Maiara Walsh. I do like that she is the right age (21). I
I'm sorry I didn't post the name, I'm just a little bit distracted these days. And yeah, her name is Maiara Walsh and I totally agree with nicole62, she's got the age, the looks and the height :D
big smile
I have another suggestion for Ian. Some people might say no but when you think that the actors don't have to look like hot models, I think he could be a nice match. The actor's name is Colin Morgan. I think he fits the description. Dark hair, snowy white skin, saphire blue eyes. Plus he's a good actor and he's Irish. He stars as Merlin in the BBC series Merlin. Others might not think of him as cute but I certainly do.
sad
I couldn't add his photo here.
I don't think Colin Morgan is a bad choice. He is a really good actor. Only thing against him is his height (5'10), but he isn't too short.

I know what you mean about a lot of fans wanting hot models to play all the parts. Jared and Melanie both need to be very good looking because their attractiveness is mentioned many times in the novel. But, Ian is only described as beautiful later in the novel after Wanda knows and loves him. This made me think the description was more about his inner beauty. Then Kyle says to Ian, "You got the brains; I got the looks. Seems fair" which would make you assume that Ian is not smoking hot. Plus Stephenie Meyer said in an interview with MTV that she imagined Casey Affleck playing Ian. He is definitely not model hot.
 I don't think Colin morgan is a bad choice. He is a really good actor. Only thing against him is his
Okay, a new choice for Ian popped into my head this morning and he is absolutely perfect! I'm still Pro Matt Dallas, but this actor has really shown the depth of his acting abilities and he matches the description of Ian so well...

HENRY CAVILL!

I don't know why I never thought of him before. He is 26 years old, 6'1", muscular, has dark brown/black hair, fair skin, and blue eyes (if they aren't blue enough, contacts will work). He is British, but has done movies with American Accent. I really think he is a viable choice especially since Stephenie Meyer loves him so much. He was who she imagined for Edward but he was too old to play that part by the time the movie came around.
 Okay, a new choice for Ian popped into my head this morning and he is absolutely perfect! I'm still P
big smile
I know he's sooo super hot! He fits the description soo well. I saw his pic in a facebook page of the host. I remembered that I saw him in Tudors. His voice is really smooth, too. I can see why Stephenie Meyer wanted him for Edward. Such a wonderful choice for Ian :)
I love him, let's cast him right now!!! hahahaha I've thought of him before but I don't know why the idea didn't stay in my head for long. He's perfect for Ian
I know I just said that Ian didn't need to be hot, but Henry Cavill is just too perfect and such a wonderful actor! He could really portray the depth necessary to play Ian.

I chose most of the pictures in the collage because they reminded me of the book. The top left one makes me think of Ian crying over Wanda and begging her to stay towards the end. And the one in the top right reminds me of Ian when he yells at Jared "I'm going to hurt her? I am?! You hypocritical swine!"

I think some of us (the fans) might have initially dismissed him because Stephenie Meyer wanted him for Edward so much. I don't think she would be opposed to him playing Ian. When Twilight was first announced to become a movie, she said Henry Cavill was now too old to play Edward but “I'm not willing to relinquish Henry completely; since I hear that Charlie Hunnam refuses to consider scripts which include vampires, I propose that Henry play Carlisle!"
Let's hope that he'll be available for the part.
Changing the subject I have another suggestions for doc.- Lee Pace and for Pet.- Dakota Blue Richards
These are just second choices, 'cause I actually like Paul Betany and AnnaSophia Robb
hampir setahun yang lalu lrb said…
For now the only thing in my mind is AnnaSophia Robb for pet/wanderer. She's young, fair and petite, also a fantastic little actress.
Maybe Christina Ricci or the like for the seeker. She has a very small frame and can pull off a clean cut orderly presentation with ease
And would it be ridiculous to assume someone like Willie Nelson would make an amazing uncle Jeb?
Murri_gh -
I totally agree that Lee Pace would be a great back-up Doc if Paul Bettany is not available or interested. Dakota Blue Richards is the right age, look, and I think she could pull off blonde hair but can she do an American accent?

Irb -
I love Anna Sophia Robb for Pet/Wanda. When I started brainstorming possible actresses and she popped into my head, I thought, "Wow. Perfect."

I love Christina Ricci as an actress, but she has two things against her as the Seeker: 1) She is very fair and the Seeker is olive-skinned, but if she can pull off a decent fake tan, it might work; 2) She is only 5'1 which would make it hard to find someone shorter to play Pet/Wanda if they wanted to keep her extreme petite-ness for the film. Also Kuncuyug brought up the fact that Mel/Wanda refers to her as a woman several times, so she might be a bit older, maybe in her mid-late 30s.

I definitely pictured someone like Willie Nelson for Uncle Jeb, but I'm not sure if he can act which is why I chose Muse Watson. He kind of reminds me of Willie Nelson
So, I already listed my suggestions for Kyle, but if Henry Cavill plays Ian then most of those suggestions won't work because either they don't look like Cavill or they look young compared to him.

On a photo I posted, I mentioned 2 possible choices: Alex O'Loughin (strong and looks similar to Cavill) who Murri_gh suggested before and Matt Bomer (looks just like Cavill but might be too short at 5'11). Now, I have a new Kyle suggestion ---> Kevin Durand. He has dark hair, lighter complexion, muscular, is 6'6 and only 36.
 So, I already listed my suggestions for Kyle, but if Henry Cavill plays Ian then most of those sugges
Well, he certainly looks like he can be as evil as Kyle. If you didn't write his age, I'd say he's 40. Looks kinda old,right but yes, I can picture him as Kyle.
laugh
My sister's just seen his pic and she said he could be a nice werewolf haha!
Yeah, you are right. I was worried that he looked a bit old. I just loved how tall and muscular he was. Maybe a different actor could bulk up enough or they could find a good unknown who fits Kyle's description and looks similar to Henry Cavill.

Haha... He would make a good werewolf.
hey, I have also been thinking of new options for Kyle. I like Kevin Durand, but I agree with kuncuyug, he looks older. The name I have in my mind for a possible Kyle is Paul Walker. What bugs me is the hair color and maybe the height, he's tall, but is he tall enough? I'm obsessed about the cast heights, but I just want the charater's proportions to be right.
Murri_gh, I know exactly what you mean! I am also obsessed with getting the proportions right. Stephenie Meyer seemed to emphasize the character descriptions (skin tone, hair color, height, etc.) even more in The Host than Twilight. She stated in an interview that body image and cherishing your body was a major theme. I think if the "bodies" of the characters were lost, a big part of the book would be lost.

I saw people suggesting Paul Walker for Jared, but I never thought of him for Kyle. He would work though (with darker hair of course). He is 6'2 or 6'3 according to most sites. Not as tall as Kevin Durand but still pretty tall. It would be nice to see him step outside the box and play a real bad guy.

Murri_gh, I know exactly what anda mean! I am also obsessed with getting the proportions right. Stephe
I love Paul Walker. I think he's one of the most handsome men on earth but I can't say he's a very good actor. And to be honest, the only actor that I could picture in my mind as Kyle was Kevin Durand. Maybe I saw him in movies that he played villains.
I don't think Paul Walker is a bad actor. He is just in very fluffy movies that are all about action and not the storyline... haha.

Yeah Kevin Durand is definitely the type of person I imagined while reading. He has played a bad guy or at least a frightening looking guy in a few movies. Meyer doesn't really mention Kyle's age, so it wouldn't be horrible if he was 36 rather than 30-32 (he doesn't look really old in all of the pictures). Or they will hopefully find someone who looks similar but it a bit younger.
Timothy Olyphant is another person who had the right "bad boy" look for Kyle as well, but he is 41 years old. He doesn't look 41, but he definitely doesn't look younger than 35.
surprise
Yes, he doesn't look like he's 41 at all!