The Hunger Games Peeta, a wimp?

dazzledpixie posted on Nov 14, 2009 at 12:04AM
Ok, so everybody's calling a Peeta a wimp and calling him weak and stuff, and I just wanted to know why some people think that. If you think that, please say why so that we can open it up a little for discussion. That'd be great. :D

OK, so this is on pg. 41 of TGH:
"[about Johanna Mason's strategy of crying and pretending to be weak:] But this seems an odd strategy for Peeta Mellark because he's a baker's son. All those years of having enough to eat and hauling bread trays around have made him broad-shouldered and strong. It will take an awful lot of weeping to convince anyone to overlook him."
Alright, so that doesn't sound like a weakling to me...discuss?

The Hunger Games 8 balas

Click here to write a response...
hampir setahun yang lalu boo-bop said…
peeta is no a weakling..
i dn;t know why people think that!
he fought hard with Cato didn;t he! sure he didn;t win but Cato isafreak! Peeta is strong! not as string as Gale but gale hunts!
if Peeta hunted he would be as strong as Gale too!
But Peeta is no wimp! hes hott!
hampir setahun yang lalu callstories said…
Peeta's the best of both worlds! He's strong and kind. I think a lot of people are compairing him to Gale, who had to be a fighter to survive. Peeta grew up differently, but he's still strong, willing to fight for the people he loves. Peeta is no whimp. Mark my words, the boy with the bread will lead the revolution.
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
hampir setahun yang lalu yael5012_y said…
Peeta is not a weakling! He's just more... decent than everybody else. I mean, he's not willing to change himself into a killing machine, like everyone else. People just mistake that as a weakling.
hampir setahun yang lalu dazzledpixie said…
I totally agree with all of yall. :) The book specifically says he's not physically weak, and I don't think he's weak in any other aspect either. My friends say he's a wimp because all he does is think about Katniss, but I don't think being in love means you're a wimp at all. That depth of emotion isn't wimpy.

@boo-bop: Yeah, my friends say Peeta's not manly because he frosts cakes, but I think it's awesome. There are plenty of guy bakers! Just because Peeta excels at what he has to do doesn't make him girly or wimpy. Like you said, I'm sure if Gale and Peeta's positions were reversed Gale would be an awesome baker and Peeta would be able to hunt.

@callstories: :D I agree! Love him ♥ And you're right; Peeta and Gale grew up differently, so they have different personalities. Gale's a hunter, so he's used to fighting and killing. But Peeta's a baker. He's not used to that. But like you said, he's still strong and willing to fight if he has to. I think he's one of those "I'm a lover not a fighter but I'll fight for what I love" people. :)

Yeah, I think it'd be awesome if he lead the revolution! He has that "power of words" after all. Maybe he'll escape from the Capitol and find his own band of rebels to lead to find Katniss and the others. It would be awesome if he heroically saved Gale in Book 3. Or killed Snow or something. Then nobody would be able to call him a wimp anymore. haha

Aw, you're using my Peeta takes the cake icon! thanks! you rock :D

@yael5012_y: I agree, I don't think that's weak at all. When he and Katniss were on the roof and he told her he wanted to die as himself, I didn't think that was weak at all. On the contrary, I thought that was noble and strong.

I'm glad to know there are people on my side! :) thanks for the comments!
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
hampir setahun yang lalu reeseluvshg said…
What is mostly mentioned about Peeta is his love for Katniss. He, however is not weak. He is just vulnerable when it comes to loving her. That is what makes his confession during his interview so shocking...This moment of weakness was not expected. Peeta is strong and (as mentioned throughout the book) VERY confident.
hampir setahun yang lalu jmg2596 said…
cool
HES NOT WEAK! JUST BECAUSE HES SWEET AND ROMANTIC TO KATNISS DOESNT MEAN HES WEAK! HES WILLING TO DIE FOR KATNISS!!! YOU CALL THAT WEAK?? READ THE EFFIN BOOK AGAIN.
hampir setahun yang lalu Bookaholics said…
Calm down. When people say he's weak, I doubt they mean physically. I'm guessing people say that mostly because of the hunger games, when he seems like more of a burden than a help to Katniss. Personally, I never saw him as "wimpy", just a little naive.
hampir setahun yang lalu jmg2596 said…
smirk
haha yea... just that i feel that a lot of people are ganging up on peeta tsk. its not his fault katniss lied to him.