Debat Debate: green vs. red

harold posted on Apr 28, 2011 at 09:01PM
Thanks to pandawinx for the great suggestion for a topic for debate which could largely be based on opinion, but can also be supported by reasoned argument. For this debate, let's use the "resolved" format for the thesis.

Thesis: Resolved: Green is better than red.

Remember to identify whether you are arguing pro or con, and label supporting content that you post in the club.

Debat 5 balas

Click here to write a response...
hampir setahun yang lalu pandawinx said…
Thanks harold.:)

I disagree! Red is better than green because it is more distinctive and stands out more. It is more easy to spot in a crowd of--- um, colours. Plus red represents confidence, courage ambition! (And i am just a little bit nuts when it comes to ambition.)
hampir setahun yang lalu cassie-1-2-3 said…
I don't know what the "resolved" format is. I briefly searched through Google, but didn't find anything, but I'll try.

I agree. Green is a more calming color that red. In traffic, red means stop and green means go. Greed pretty much says "Go ahead, everything's fine" when red tells us "Stop now or you may be severely injured!!" or "I'm a firetruck!!! Move out of my way, I'm in a rush!!!" or "Don't park here!! It's not safe!!" Red attracts bulls and can symbolize danger. A person my be startled by the simple sight of red and set them into a slight state of panic.

Red generally symbolizes sin, death, asnger, blood, and guilt. In Hawthorn's The Scarlet Letter, scarlet (a shade of red) was used as a punishment. Hester Pryne was forced to wear a scarlet "A" on her dress becuase she was unfaithful.
In Beauty and the Beast, the red rose symbolized restriction and strain. The Beast was punished for being a jerk by being placed under a spell dictated by a red rose. He was being held prisoner by his own "sin", or shallowness.
In Adam and Eve's story, there was a white rose which turned red, to represent their shame.

Green generally symbolizes more posetive ideas.
In The Great Gatsby, Nick compares the greel hill to the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. The light on Daisy's dock represents longing and sanctuary for Gatsby. The green light is where he hopes his future lies.

This experiment shows that green yeilds a better reaction time that red
link

According to the link, human rod cells are more receptive to green colors. This means that we can see green better in dark light (hance night vision)
hampir setahun yang lalu Ella74567 said…
angelic
@ Cassie-1-2-3.. I think your right! Green has a more calming affect on people and that is a good quality.But red also has good qualities listed from pandawinx. My opinion is that they both are wonderful. Maybe that's why both red and green are Christmas colors to symbolize the way they act together;in harmony..
hampir setahun yang lalu pandawinx said…
aw, ella74567, thats a lovely way of putting it. :)

Ok, i'll devise a list of redeeming and degrading pointers about each of them:
Positive things about green- calming, reassuring, natural.
Postive red- ambitious, encouraging, confidence.
hampir setahun yang lalu oreocat134 said…
I'm going to keep things simple in my post. Green is better than red because of what they both symbolize and the emotions they evoke.

Red symbolizes war, anger, and hate. Red has been scientifically proven to make people angry.

Green symbolizes life, nature, and balance. Green has been scientifically proven to make people more calm. Prisons paint cell rooms green to calm down the angry prisoners.