Fanpop General soalan

harold posted on Apr 24, 2008 at 06:37AM
This forum is for questions about how stuff works on Fanpop: how to use features, etc.

Looking through the forum in this spot, you can see that a lot of questions get asked over and over again, but since there are so many pages of forum threads, the answers can get lost. I propose this as a forum for users to ask questions about the site, which other users or even the staff can answer. Then users with a question can look at one thread in future, rather than having to repeat a thread or search through many many pages of forum threads.
last edited on Apr 24, 2008 at 06:42AM

Fanpop 226 balas

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 101-150 of 226

hampir setahun yang lalu hellgirl223 said…
I hate it even more if a user messages too much. It's like they never know when to stop. Oh, and today my friend just accepted my invitation and a message was sent to me saying that my friend accepted the invitation. Of course my invitation trophy lighted up. But J, how come you said no? did the system change too =O ?? And one other question, if you report something does that content get deleted straight away, after some time OR does it not get deleted at all? Im asking this because of those Hulu videos >:O
hampir setahun yang lalu harold said…
Reaction to a report varies, in my experience. Each of those things can and do happen: sometimes the action is immediate, sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it seems like nothing happens. If it doesn't get deleted/fixed, usually a moderator contacts me with a question, in my experience. But of course that depends on the kind of report, too. A spammer report will often get a response/inquiry, whereas a broken link will usually just get deleted. Miscategorized content usually gets moved without any further contact from the staff, though I have seen requests from the moderators for the original poster to decide to which spot content should be moved. At the same time, some miscategorized content (like a picture of Carly Simon nonsensically posted in the 80s spot) has been reported many times, and has never been moved. So...it varies, both by type of report and apparently randomly.
Oh, thx Harold. I have another problem, my friend says that his Spot is deleted, he cant go to his account and all his contents from hisprevious spot has been moved to a similar spot. How is this happening? His spot is new and as far as i see, theres nothing inappropriate or wrong with that spot. His profile is not wrong either. link is his profile. Any suggestions? Is there anyway to retrieve the spot back?
hampir setahun yang lalu ineedcoffee said…
Well the only thing I can see personally is that spot might have been reported as a duplicate spot, and they just deleted it and moved his content to the one they considered the original spot, as to his account If we can see it I don't know why he can't access it...usually if they ban or suspend an account you will be directed to home page when you click on there username at least that is my impression.
Ok, ill explain in more detail. I dont think its a duplicate spot. There is this game called "Kingdom Hearts" and all his contents were moved in that spot. The spot is called "Kingdom Hearts Series". Which means a spot for ALL the Kingdom Hearts Games, as Kingdom Hearts has a series. SO basically the difference between the spot are that the "Kingdom Hearts" spot is JUST suppose to be for the "Kingdom Hearts" game, as for "Kingdom Hearts Series" Spot is for ALL the game of "Kingdom Hearts" and its series, including, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix etc. So, Why would someone report it =O? And if you report a spot, does it mean the spot gets deleted immediately? I hope that explains my question. And can the F4 fix his profile page, because he cant see his onw profile =O. I hope this problem get fixed. He cant ask because i think he's new so he's kind of shy.. =O
hampir setahun yang lalu Snerkie said…
Because even though you may explain it as "Kingdom Hearts Series" all the games in the series fall under "Kingdom Hearts" at the start of the game. So instead of the happening of duplicate content being posted it's only needed to all go into Kingdom Hearts (which doesn't have to be specific to just the first game in the series)

Also, no a spot doesn't get deleted immediately when someone reports it. A moderators or staff member, whatever you may like to call it would get messages saying "this spot has been reported for this reason" with any notes that may have been given and they will look at the spot, search to see if the report is appropriate and take action.
That means...... Why did the spot get deleted?
Because the spot "Kingdom Hearts" can cover the whole series already. The title of the "Kingdom Hearts" spot isn't directing itself at the first game exactly but can be seen as the whole series and duplicate spots get deleted. The name doesn't have to be the same to be a duplicate but it's the intention.
Hmkay. But still, Darn... Now what am i going to say to him. =O. I also found a similar spot to mine. Its called 'The Little Mermaid 3.' My original spot is called 'The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning.' Basically its the same thing. That's a duplicate right, even if the title's different??
hampir setahun yang lalu harold said…
If Ariel's Beginning is also the third film, I'd say yes. But of course, there'd probably need to be a lot of specialized content for the third film to justify a club separate from a generic Little Mermaid club (if there is one). Note that I'm not suggesting that it is inappropriate to have a specialized club for the third film - not at all! I'm just saying that such a specialized spot is particularly justified if there's a LOT of content specific to the third film.

An example: a couple of years ago, the Fanpop spot was getting really cluttered with content that was all about users, so the Fanpop Users spot was created for people to talk about themselves and other users (and free up some space to talk about the site in the Fanpop spot). That took off, but then it started to get swamped with user profile pictures, so the Users Icons club was started to handle all of those. So it continues. In my mind, a club is justified if:
* there is no other club that covers that content
OR
* there is so much specific content that it can be "split off" from an existing, more general club.

But that's just me, of course.
hampir setahun yang lalu amazondebs said…
personally i don't think the fanpop users icons club is needed as such and it annoys me when my icons get moved there which is why i normally upload the icon in the full photo

i'm not saying the club should be deleted or anything because i know people do add a lot there and so people obviously enjoy the club but if it's a icon of myself i feel it should be left alone in the fanpop users

same with the Ariel third film if people like it and enjoy the spot then it has a purpose but if someone else uploads something from the third film in to the little mermaid spot it shouldn't be reported and moved

and i think you meant to say specific instead of general harold ;)
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
But you can have like 3 people enjoying it when they could go over to the Little Mermaid spot which would have more content, etc, and go enjoy themselves there :\ It's not like one spot can be more enjoyable than the other, it's the people that need to create the enjoyment instead.
hampir setahun yang lalu germany123 said…
link

on this page if you look at the featured links- the format is fudged up..how can i report this? via the spot report?
then again the links keep changing so...i really have no idea how i can report it properly- but íts annoying since you cant read the links properly :S
germany, when you see it a bit fudged up, hit "print screen" and copy it into whatever paint program, save it, upload it to imageshack and then report it in the link. Because i'm unsure what you mean by the problem so if you can show it it'll make sense on how it could be fixed.

Oh oh, i think i might see what you mean concerning the problem...or did i just stumble across a different problem...i think i just found a different problem actually, lol (link)

Also what could also help when you're reporting problems is to say what internet browser you are using (Internet Explorer 7, Firefox Version 3, etc) because that can also alter problems as some things can work at times in one browser but not the other.
ah okay sorry- i wasnt making sense? lol..hmmm yes that might have happened before..i get puzzled looks!! :D
let me try to find it again- ah see i knew this would happen..the links (on the right side of the screen/the box where it says "related links") change every time you refresh the page..i knew it was pointless to post the link darn it- sorry forget it it's probably not even worth it :D
it was just that the format was fudged up because someone obviously made a description with something like "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!etc"
and that messes up the format both on comments and those link boxes.
hmm i wonder if i make any more sense now?
i am not sure a screenshot would have helped though- i really have no idea how to find that particular group of links..unless i go to the page and hit refresh till im blue in the face!?

i just saw your edit..ive been getting that too recently- i havent gotten round to reporting it!

oh and im on firefox- but my problem is man made i think :D

another edit: i just went back and luckily there was another one :)
and i made a screenshot :)
link

i know how these things happen..and you know as i am typing this i also figured oot a way to report them- ok sorry i am really really dense (just click on them report the link you think is causing the problem DUH)
in my defense: its not always obvious which link/comment is the one messing up the format aaaaaaaaaaaaaand i wont even tell you what time it is
*goes to sleep*
Ooo...so the problem is that links are being given too long of names. OH OH, WAIT...NO, I KNOW WHAT IT IS!! It's that link named "more fox scheduling(fringe,dollhouse,) etc etc etc, you get the point. It's because they haven't put spaces in the title name. What you need to do when you find them is report that link, because that's what's bugging up the rest of the box.
*nods*
i figured it oot..thanks..its just really really late/early on my side of the world :D
thanks for the help though!! screencaps will always be made in future
That's okay, i found the links and reported them (i wrote in the notes box that they're breaking the "related links" box) But yep, screencaps will probably help things rather than trying to explain what it looks like (especially if it's a rotating thing)
hampir setahun yang lalu DarkSarcasm said…
I thought I was becoming senile at first, because I couldn't figure out how to edit the settings on my filtered updates. After asking a few other Fanpoppers (who were also stumped) and re-reading Michael's link, I realized that we weren't crazy - the "change my settings" link was gone. Is this something that's been officially changed and I'm just catching on, or is this a feature that got lost?
papa said in this forum link that they had disabled some stuff on the weekend because of all the twilight traffic so maybe they haven't put it back yet.
hampir setahun yang lalu DarkSarcasm said…
Hadn't thought to look there - I'll blame Twilight for now (ironically, I was trying to get rid of the 3 pages of twilight quizzes when I noticed the missing feature...). =P Thanks, coffee lady. ;)
you are welcome...:)
am i seeing things or has the layoot changed when on the front page of a spot? is the ad removed?
umm...wha? the ad on the right hand side is now longer, only difference i have noticed
the quiz was moved up...and the ad disappeared. but only on the spot page
link

just to prove..you know..i am not seeing things :D
maybe its my updated ad block!?
hampir setahun yang lalu ari12 said…
Ok, I have a question:

Let's say that I have a yellow medal in whatever spot, and for some reason I unsuscribe to that spot... when I suscribe again, do I still have my medal? Or do I have to start from the beginning?
the way i understand is that the medal disappears but the information is not lost. so when its medal time (happens sometimes) you get the one you had back [or a higher one depending obviously]...but im not 100 percent on this...i remember reading it somewhere..some time ago
i have question which i think i know the answer to but i wanted to double check: does your account get deleted after a certain time of being inactive?
i am guessing no..i just wondered why that might be the reason some spots have tons of fans but no activity whatsoever...i just looked at the germany fanlist and there is a number of spooky iconless users who i am thinking havent been active in ages..if they ever were :S
i don't think they get deleted.

A lot of people join for the content and such but don't post themselves :) yup
hampir setahun yang lalu PkmnTrainerJ said…
Ari, medal "data" never dissapears. You still have a medal in that spot, even if you leave it. It will show up in content you have submitted to the spot, even though you have unsubscribed. If you rejoined it, you would still have that medal.
hello my darling fanpooopers,
i *cough* tested this thinking i could figure it oot myself for my article on "how do i picks":is there another way to delete a spot you created besides flagging it?
i couldnt find it *hangs head in shame* and now i guess i have to hassle the f4 aboot it but just to double check: did i miss the option where it says "delete this spot"? the more i think aboot it the more i come to the conclusion you probably cant..since all spots are community property once they are made...
There's no way to delete a spot yourself without asking the F4. It's so people don't go "oh i don't like the people in this spot now *cry* gonna delete it!!"
yeah i thought there might be way..right after you make it when no people have joined yet- but it makes sense.
but thanks for confirming :)
hampir setahun yang lalu alwaysthebest said…
I have a question: How do I delete my account?
hampir setahun yang lalu hooch-is-crazy said…
Why do you need to delete it? If you don't want to use Fanpop anymore just quit and leave the account there.
or ask the f4 to remove it..via the contact us button or report yourself and add a note
hampir setahun yang lalu alwaysthebest said…
I want to make a new account using the same email but in order to do that I have to delete this one first.
Anyway, thank you for answering me.
hampir setahun yang lalu Jennifer1985 said…
I don't know if this has been asked already. What about the spot description? Once you've created a spot there is a limited amount of time when you can still change it, but after a while it just says Suggest Images. Then you only can change the banner/icon but not the spot description though the field is still active...
i think thats once a certain number of fans have joined.(did i read 7 somewhere!?)
i think you have to make a pick/forum/ whatever and then report the spot with the url in the notes and the f4 can change it.
hampir setahun yang lalu Jennifer1985 said…
Yeah that's what I had in mind, too. Thanks.
hmmm
I have a question is this a bug on my end or fanpops when I go to save an image it doesn't get saved to my gallery and yet it says it is saved so I have to go in and do it the old fashioned way and down load it to the computer then reload it back to the site any one else experience this problem?
Maybe its your laptop/computer? Coz i dont have that problem but maybe some other Fanpoppers might have that problem =/
I Noticed it before I left home i am now at parents and tried it on there computer different browser still wont let me.
hmmm
i am not %100 sure what you mean...but any ways what browsers have you tried? Have you also cleaned the cache and cookies in the browsers? (that often fixes things)
yup, I have tried firefox and internet explorer and what I meant was on our articles we have the save button which gets saved to our profile same with pictures articles work fine but pictures are not working.
hampir setahun yang lalu kathiria82 said…
I think I mentioned this before but it`s still happening. When you update a spot it should appear first on your mosaic. Some spots don`t. ¬_¬
hmmm
^^yeah i have noticed that too..quizzes were added to the fanpoppies spot and it didnt get bumped ( a little annoying actually) is it a bug?

i have another question oot of curiosity: why are there no emotes on picks? i dont mind i just wonder why..it seems random
hampir setahun yang lalu kathiria82 said…
I think we should be able to delete forums. Why aren`t we able to?