Breaking Dawn Soooooooooooo disappointed (spoilers)

lisae posted on Aug 09, 2008 at 05:03AM
I was very disappointed with Breaking Dawn. I love the Twighlight series, and I think that Stephanie Meyer is a brilliant writer. However, I felt as if the first 3 books were truly parts 1, 2, & 3 of a fabulous story, and that book 4 was completely different. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that it had a happy ending, but it was almost as if someone else wrote the last book. The first 3 books were a fascinating love story/adventure that found its foundation in exploring the characters and essence of Bella, Edward, and the others. You really felt as if you were the characters when reading it. Breaking Dawn, however, totally went in another direction. It was as if Breaking Dawn was an action movie rather than a continuation of the first 3 books. I was thrilled with the first Bella chapter of Breaking Dawn, but so diappointed that Stephanie decided to experiment with her writing style and switch to the Jacob perpective. It was interesting from a detached book reviewer perspective, but from a fan perspective, I was so sad that over 200 pages of my wonderful story were not from Bella's perspective. Then when we returned to Bella, it was not the Bella that we came to know and love. Once she turned into a vampire, she became the typical "superhero" that we see in movies or other books. That is all good and nice, but I loved the strength that we saw in human Bella -- somehow in her "weak" human state, she was actually very strong and developed such strong bonds with all the characters in the books. Stephanie no longer focused as strongly on the emotional bond between Edward and Bella; it was more just accepted and mentioned here and there. It was much more about the action occuring around them. I guess that I wanted the book to end as it did, but I would have preferred Bella to have not become a parent and suddenly mature so much. She seemed years older in Breaking Dawn than in the other 3 books, and that ruined it for me.

I feel as if I need to re-read the first 3 books to reinatate Bella and Edward in my memory as I came to love them, and simply think of Breaking Dawn as another story....or one that occurs years later. I felt that there were sooooooooooo many more wonderful adventures for Bella and Edward to have. What a shame that we won't get to read about them.

Breaking Dawn 8 balas

Click here to write a response...
hampir setahun yang lalu walker93 said…
I have to say that I completely disagree with you. I thought the book was wonderful, maybe the best of the whole series (yet to be decided). To me, I was glad to get away from the lovey-dovey stuff and into the action. That was always the parts of the other books I enjoyed the most. Don't get me wrong, I liked the romance, but I felt like the better part of three books had been spent on that, and we'd already gotten a good feel for how strong they felt about each other. You can only talk about it so much.

And as for the book going into Jacob's perspective, I think that was the best way to get through the whole pregnacy without it dragging out. I mean seriously, could you take two hundred pages of Bella thinking about how much she loved this little "boy" inside her. She sat on a couch for a couple of weeks with Edward just staring at her. How much fun would that be to read about?

Okay, I'm pretty sure that was all I wanted to say. I might add more later, but I really hate writing on these things. People almost always freak out if you say your true honest opinion. Over and out.
last edited hampir setahun yang lalu
hampir setahun yang lalu lisae said…
Oh, I like discussion. :) Don't worry, it totally doesn't hurt my feelings that your perspective is different from mine. In fact, it would be a boring world if we all thought the same thing/
hampir setahun yang lalu soccerkayla said…
i agree...with conditions... it had the happy ending but once after the wedding it was not as appealing...you didnt really feel how bella felt...but i am happy that she did have renesmee and become a vampire
hampir setahun yang lalu surfen_cutie09 said…
no offense but i loved it
it was my fav. one out of all of it. i finished it the same day it came out lol. wouldnt put it down.
hampir setahun yang lalu brucas4ever said…
i totally agree with you... it didn't have enough edward:(
hampir setahun yang lalu Dazzeled said…
Did anyone think the end was a little lazy? :S I hate to say it but Edward and Bella stand for what is right despite the consequences so I don't see why the Volturi remained unchallanged. It just seemed too easy at the end.
hampir setahun yang lalu et265831 said…
Actually I haven't finish this book , but now I'm quite dubious about whether I should keep on of not,cause the content really makes me feel bored....maybe its going to be more exciting in Jacob's perspective? Dunno...
hampir setahun yang lalu divergirl5396 said…
I complety disagree I thought Breaking Dawn was aggod book though I do think the happy ending was a little forced